Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Another stage I believe

I've tried to write this post several times, but can't seem to get it done. I will try again because I know you want to know how Keith is doing.

He is not doing so well. He can barely walk 10 steps in a day and relies on his power chair for most of the day. He is not only extremely fatigued but has gotten weaker in the last month. He has difficulty getting in and out of bed. Our Hospice team is here sometimes 3 times a week. Their support is wonderful and all of us at this home feel thankful for their help. Yesterday, Keith would have ended up in the ER if I hadn't been able to call hospice. They came out right away, in fact two times yesterday and did what had to be done. By dinner, Keith was hungry and even slept fairly well.

Now the good news. Keith is not only showing tremendous patience throughout this MSA journey, but he is exhibiting "contentment" during the midst of it. He is ready to go be with the Lord but knows it is in our heavenly father's hands.

Life is precious. Strangely, I am feeling such a "peace" about this phase. We both know our time together and with family is disappearing and we struggle to get together at a time when Keith is strong enough. This leads me to the next subject, visiting.

Many of you have told me that it is very difficult to see Keith as he is now. We understand so don't feel bad. Others come over like he is just the same. That is amazing for me to watch. And I thank you 3 or 4 who do that.  If you want to see Keith, he would say make it sooner than later. I'm not sure about that but that is what he told one of his favorite athletes who said he was going to come and see him. A 15 to 20 minute visit is about all he can handle in most cases, though I've heard him talk more than that when it is about sports =) I asked him yesterday, if he still wants to play "Farkle" with friends and he said yes. Playing the game is an easy way to visit with him because he doesn't have to talk a lot and besides it makes him happy!

Enough for now, Love to all of you and thanks for asking about him.


6 comments:

  1. I hope you all enjoyed the blueberry muffin "cake" today. I'm trying to go on vacation at the end of the month, under normal circumstances it's difficult, and missing my time with you today is upsetting, although I completely understand and only want what is best for you all. Sending my love and prayers constantly and faithfully!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pam. I am so thankful to hear of the peace you are experiencing. You have both stayed so positive and strong throughout. I have such respect for the two of you. I have moved to Arizona about a month ago. I so appreciate that you have included me in the blog. Please give Keith big hugs from me and tell him I look forward to the next time I see him healthy and whole. And hugs to you too strong lady. He is the luckiest man to have such a loyal, loving wife. Love to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Aunt Pam,

    I have been feeling very strongly that I want to visit Uncle Keith and this post just confirms that I should make it happen soon. Are there days/times that are better for you and him?

    Love you all,

    Tessa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Pam -- I was wondering when we hadn't heard from you in so long. I have moved to Kenmore, but my prayers are with you that God continues to give you His peace that passes all human understanding. He is the only One who can meet all your needs, which I know you know. Continue to keep us posted. And remember, I am available to talk when you're ready. My new # is 425-419-4413.
      The other Pam

      Delete
  4. You are both amazing people. I pray for continued contentment and peace.

    ReplyDelete