Saturday, May 28, 2011

2 am in the morning

I cry because I have left the bed of a man I have slept with for over 30 years. He doesn't even know I'm gone. That is because of the MSA. His body becomes so heavy I can't get him to move or understand what I am saying most of the time. I had to leave because he was hitting me in the back. MSA can cause him to "act out" what he may be dreaming. Not that he is dreaming he is hitting me, but whatever it is, I am a close target! Too close! I couldn't get him to wake up to explain it to him, so I left and came to write. I know it may make sense to sleep elsewhere, but, " I DON'T WANT TO."
I write, not to evoke sympathy but because I am sad and scared. This disease is robbing the outward emotions from Keith that I so desire. He cares and wants to provide them but can't. I feel so selfish wanting wisdom from him. Wanting problem solving from him. Wanting strength from him. Wanting holding from him.

I can't make it funny anymore.

I'm not sure I should post this because I lack sleep but I know I will. "Why?" I don't know anymore. You all ask how Keith is and he is fighting for his life. The energy it takes to exercise and visit and get through the day is staggering but only those that see it daily would know. Of course, he isn't complaining, but I guess I am aren't I?

Keith just came out and saw me posting but only talked about our dog. That's not normal. Before the disease he would have said, "What's wrong, why are you up?" and we would have talked as long as necessary. It did turn out to be a blessing that our crying dog woke him up. I will tell you why. After he seemed to not care why I was up, I followed him back to the room and confronted him with the situation. (You've got to understand, we've had very few times where we haven't communicated and comforted on another in our marriage so this situation was big.) Anyway, he knew then that something was wrong. We talked and cried (ok, I cried ) He said as only Keith can, "Things are getting serious" and then said, "Don't give up on me." I said I would never give up on him, or on us. He then said some more serious and insightful things to me that I so needed to hear.

Thank you Lord. I think I can sleep now.





11 comments:

  1. I love you Pam.

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an honor to hear your thoughts and feelings. Words cannot express. We love you both! Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pam, thank you for being so vulnerable and sharing. I'm praying for both you and Keith. You two are such strong and amazing people. I love you both!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ooh, meant to put my name on that last post. It was from Joelle :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam and Keith, I love you both so much. Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pam,

    Thank you for sharing your feelings. You have such strength and courage.I want to support you in any way I can. Prayer; Thank you dear God for the special moments we do get to share together. Help me keep them close to my heart, always keeping my eyes on you Lord. Continue to give me the strenght, courage, wisdom and Grace I need at this time. You are my child I love you Pam. ruth

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh pam, this is so hard for you and your heart is breaking but you are stronger than you know. I love you so much, Cheri

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you all for allowing me to put my feelings into words without judgement. I feel so much better.

    ReplyDelete
  9. joan dixon-schmidtMay 30, 2011 at 9:24 PM

    Pam: My heart aches for you! Keith knows you will never give up on him, and we will never give up on you, either of you. How can we help you? Please let me help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for your articulate vulnerability. It's truly amazing. You're both constantly in my prayers and in my heart.--Nikki

    ReplyDelete
  11. Pam, Bless you for being so very painfully real!... Please know that we are holding you both up in prayer and asking for God's sustaining strength and grace to be in abundance... there for you to draw on when needed. We love you both!
    Lyle and Aileen

    ReplyDelete