Sunday, January 16, 2011

Death With Dignity

Keith and I now know more that we ever wanted to know about Death With Dignity. I had definite strong opinions about it and judged those who thought different until today. Did you know that Keith's disease, MSA, is allowed on the list of options for Assisted Suicide? We didn't nor did we care. Yesterday, however we were put in its path by our friend who also has MSA and his wife as we were getting together over a cup of coffee. It is not everyday that you are privileged or trusted enough to hear the wishes of person wanting to die. He is in much worse condition than when we saw him last. Then, he was using a walker, still smiling and able to carry on good conversation. Now, he is a man, depressed in a wheelchair with a swelling body that no longer works for him. He has lost hope and has obtain a doctor's prescription to end his life.

I won't go into details as his wife did while took a short walk, leaving the guys alone to talk. (somewhat scary and overwhelming). I was so thankful for Keith. He was bonding with him and they were laughing. I wanted desperately to talk with her alone and find out how things were going from her perspective. She and I share a situation that very few do. That is, both of us having husbands with MSA, a very rare disease. She needed to talk. She has to do everything now, making difficult decisions alone about their two high school aged kids. She is overwhelmed and at the same time dealing with a husband that wants to die now.

Believing that Keith would never take God's role and do that as a Christian I felt better. So I asked him or sort of told him and then asked him about Death With Dignity and I was surprise. He said he'd think about it. Later, he said that didn't mean he would consider it. I knew what he meant after seeing our friend. We now ask for prayers for both of these wonderful people.

Enough for today.

2 comments:

  1. Dear Keith and Pam, I understand this terrible dilemma very well. I know my nephew Lane struggled with this during his final days with Lou Gehrig's and it was heartwrenching for his wife and for my sister. In the end he chose not to end his own life. Although I don't think God will judge any of us harshly for choosing to hasten the end when it is unendurable, I do believe that God must have something in mind to let us suffer so. I have to believe that everything happens for a reason. I will continue to pray for you and the other couple for strength to see this through whatever choice is made.

    (I don't know how to post this correctly so I'll just sign here. Peggy G)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts. You have had more experience than even we have with a horrible disease. Thanks for posting. I may be asking you more questions as time passes.

    ReplyDelete