Monday, November 28, 2011

Hospice

I'm sorry I can't make our story a pretty and fluffy one; at least not today. Tomorrow is another day.  Remember, you have the right to not read the blogs but I have to and need to be real, right or wrong to some of you. And to my Christian friends, I don't believe I am a "bad Christian" because I am not always singing the Lord's praises. The ONE who made me knows me and understands my cries and even encourages me to do so.

Thanksgiving was nice and try as I might to put the words "Hospice Referral," out of my head, it wasn't happening. True at this time, it is just a chance for us to meet the hospice team and have them get to know us. Then when the time comes, we will be ready and won't have to make sudden, non thought-out decisions. A good plan but I would wager that none of you are being "referred" to hospice.

So Keith and I go on. Day by day, even hour by hour. Surprisingly, I was just mentioning at dinner that you would think the days would go so slow, but they don't. Oh well, what is not a surprise is that a lot of you are staying away. I know you don't know what to do or say, but please just call me and I promise I will help you out. I'm not that hard to talk to. I will probably say everything is ok unless I truly feel you want to hear the truth. I'm not being dramatic (well I sort of am), I just wish I could make it easier for you. I know it is difficult because I have been in your shoes and did far less than you all have done for us.

Ok, I will help you out. Remember I said Keith likes plain cake donuts or cinnamon rolls? He loves chocolate chip cookies and most all cookies. He likes New York super chunk ice cream or dove bars.

Ooops, I forgot, they just told Keith he was borderline anemic, so if anyone wants to bring him a hamburger, milkshake and fries, he would love that. =)

I love you all. There's more news to tell but not now.  Some not so good, some involving changes, and some more about Keith's health.


4 comments:

  1. Oh, Pam. You know that I DO know about "hospice", been there/done that, wore out the t-shirt. I will call you tomorrow; it's just after 10 pm now, and I don't want to call this late, just in case both of you are sleeping! I was just checking email before getting ready for bed. Now I need to have a special chat with the ONE about you guys before I sleep. Edward has to go see the cardiologist tomorrow. Tie a knot and hang on! Love to you both, Elaine

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love you both. It breaks my heart to read this, but I'm so glad that you're open enough to share with us where you're at, Pam. This has to be so challenging for you both--I can't even imagine. I'm so mad that I've gotten sick--as soon as I'm better and this cough is gone, I'll be over to visit you. Is Keith still on diet restrictions, or can he eat anything these days? I can always hold my breath and bring over a treat, and leave it on your doorstep! :) I love you guys and am praying for God's strength as you make it through each day. -Joelle

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Pam, for sharing your heart, hurts and hopes with us. Thank you for letting us know honestly. Not everyone can do that, and I appreciate knowing. I am definitely coming over on Wednesday. I couldn't make it last week, but this week I'll be there. Does Keith prefer single or double on the hamburger? W/cheese? Fries too?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh thank you guys. He doesn't eat enough meat so a single is good. Yes, with cheese. We are taking off his food restrictions. We didn't notice enough good for us to justify the cost. Besides, let the guy eat whatever he wants right?

    Thanks Joelle and Joan and Elaine for the encouraging words. =)

    ReplyDelete