Saturday, November 6, 2010

Disability Card thing

When you come from a stubborn family and one in which prides itself on having perfect attendance for several of its members some of who can say they went all 12 grades without an absence( And one who had a teacher who made a mistake and marked a trip to the dentist as an absence, but I'm not bitter!) it is hard to realize that you need to find out how to get one of those cards you hang on the rear view mirror because your husband is having more and more difficulty walking. He's walking still but with winter coming it won't work very well to have to park quite some distance away in possible inclement weather to go to dr. appts. We both didn't want to ask for one. We didn't even know who to ask. Remember, this is Keith who only missed 1 day of school in 26 years. The first two places I asked were not the right ones so we asked our case manager. She steered us in the right direction and of course it was not a problem. They have the application right there in our neurologist office and of course, Keith qualified.

I will never look at people who have those disabled placards the same way again. I never resented them having a close parking spot I just never knew what had to happen for them to get one. We now have to take the application to the Dept of Motor Vehicles. Those places can be scary. I hope we get a nice person that doesn't talk to loud about why we are there. Not so much fun to do.

Keith wants to go back to work so bad. It's hard for him not to.

We've had a good week though. Our friends and family are so supportive. Also, our new friend, Steve who has MSA is going to Hawaii. Keith is very impressed with his courage to travel and if it goes well for Steve, may consider a trip there himself. Well, I mean I think he wants to go with me. You know what I mean. ")

3 comments:

  1. Well Mom . . . a trip to the dentist is an absence! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not back then. I was only gone through the lunch hour I believe. So technically I was there almost the whole day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember a comedian joking about how lucky the people are who get those handicapped spots. Ridiculous, I know... We would trade a million sunny days to help Keith... Thank you so much for this blog--means a lot to be able to keep in touch. ***hugs***

    ReplyDelete