Monday, November 1, 2010

Hard Visit for me Saturday

You may have read Keith had a great visit with some of his players. I on the other hand, used that time to visit a woman who lost her husband 4 months ago to MSA. We could have talked easily for hours both comparing husbands Thankfully, it was more like an hour because she told me some tough stuff that she wished someone had told her. Things like where and who to call if you decide to donate Keith's brain (you feel a tug to help further the study of this rare disease). She not only told me but added necessary details.

I'm looking at a list with about 5 major sources of information she wrote for me. One is becoming a member of a funeral Co-op. She said it sounds weird but the cost is cut by so much that it is worth doing. She was glad she did and so many of the arrangements she had to make were done without pressure.

Let's see, next she asked me if I has a POLST. (Physicians Order Life Sustaining Treatment.) I thought a living will covered this but I guess you post this on the wall, or fridge so the fire dept. will follow it. Otherwise they have to basically do all measures possible to save a life. Now wouldn't you think you'd want that? She reminded me that it can be changed anytime.

Well that was as much as I could take. I will talk to her again because the awful shared kindred of this disease is welcomed. So very few people know what MSA is , its, complications, its progress, and its road to finality.

We are thankful for our blessings. You can bet I was ready to not only hold and be with Keith, but to pay extra attention to the wonderful family and friends we have.

With love, Pam

3 comments:

  1. As hard as I know that must have been to talk about such things with the MSA widow, I was to say "Good work!" I'm very happy that is the face of this mysterious disease you have someone to talk to and who really understands. I am so happy and thankful that you and your family have such extensive and loving communities of people supporting your family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clint just sent me the link, no wonder I haven't been summoned for the basketball books! Stay strong happy little Johnson family. Not sure why bad things happen to good people but for some stupid reason they do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Pam,
    I know having a touchstone with someone who has been through the fire is a comfort others cannot understand who have not been there. But sometimes people can be so practical it's a bit disconcerting.
    My family has had a lot of experience with caring for loved ones with degenerative diseases and I personally was cared for my grandmother; who, by the time I was involved, couldn't do anything for herself. It's funny though, almost no one remembers that. They always seem to remember her words and all the things she imparted to us... particularly her faith.
    Remember hope is your friend, faith will show you the way, and love will keep you strong.
    *LoveLee*

    ReplyDelete